Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Flashback Parade

Two weeks of complete escapism. From life, from the outside world, from reality, from familiarity, from memory. How did I get here? And where am I headed now? To what end?

New Zealand is a country that takes your breath away, in ways that seem too absurd to be possible. To borrow slightly from a very witty postcard I noticed at the ubiquitous souvenir store here, I’ll always remember about this country – the portion sizes at cafés (die of shame, America!), the verdant meadows stretching beyond eternity, the surreal blueness of the lakes, the aquamarine sea squinting in the sunlight, snow-dusted mountains, volcano cones symmetric to perfection, the warmest, most good-natured cheer, and the heartfelt humility all around. This country may have a legacy of suffering nature’s might and violence, but look around and all you will see is quiet gentleness – both, in the magnificent landscapes, and among the people. A fortnight of travel in the best weather imaginable may not be the most unbiased backdrop for my Kiwi experience, but until I grow weary of this wanderlust, I know I have to keep coming back here.

And this is how it all began…

No comments: