Thursday, May 31, 2007

Night and Day

Perth gets dark really early these days. Five-thirty in the evening and the sun has made its daily dive into an ocean that's too far away for me to see. Invisible, even without the blinds on the window next to my desk at work that remorselessly only allow me to perceive the faintest hint of what lies ahead.

Walking through desolate streets, nearly empty at day, empty at night. I barely notice this near-abandonment anymore. Lost in a world filled with music (so faithful, so dependable, that music!), I make my own little dive. Headlong into that comforting, anonymous darkness, the inky streets, pristine sky, and Venus watching over me.

Someone once said that only when it is dark enough can you see the stars. I'd be hard pressed to dispute that.

No comments: