Monday, April 23, 2007

Catcher

I don't know if it's possible to love a certain favourite book to death forever. Only because 'forever' is a scary as hell word. I have a bunch I love madly, blindly, vehemently, but sometimes, when I reread a much loved and devoured book after some amount of time, ever so heartbreakingly, I realise I feel differently about it now. Not necessarily bad differently, but just, different. The book remains the same, but you change. And I'm not even talking about books you may have read thousands of years ago. Sometimes, even if it's just been a few months since you last read those familiar, comfortable, fluid lines, suddenly, ever so subtly, something has drained away from them. From you. It's the most terrible feeling in the world. Outgrowing things. And people. And music. Worse still, it's completely inevitable.

Which is why, sometimes, I need to reread a book as a sort of self-assessment. A reminder. Like an annual medical, to see if I'm still... me. And for now, to my complete, unadulterated, compelling relief, eight years down the line, I still am.

4 comments:

H.S. said...

Am thinking of the reason I seldom reread books.Maybe it is because I am scared what I will rediscover:)

Anu said...

Hmm... that's a possibility. But ignorance is so darned blissful, no? :)

Zephyrsurfer said...

I hate outgrowing music. its sad.. but it keeps happening. all the bloody time!!!
recently.. i started this drive to find n the net studd i had heard long long before. wen i was a kid. on tape. on the radio...
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan: The Dead Man Walking track
Carrie: Cliff Richards.
Road Trippin: RHCP

felt good.

but did NOT feel the same. and I am sad.
Very Super Damn Sad.

Anu said...

Ah well. I tend to outgrow music another way, by listening to a fanatically loved piece so many times, over and over, that I just... well, kill it.